Monday, May 02, 2005

Its Just A Question Of Faith- An Interview With John Davis




John Davis is a new man. After sweating and bleeding for ten years in the Tennessee based power pop band Superdrag, John has a new faith, a new son, a new solo record, and was kind enough to answer a few questions via email.

First, let me congratulate you on becoming a father. It may be a little early for this question, but how do you think fatherhood will affect your music, your career, your faith, and your view of the world?

Thanks. Man, I'll tell you what, I could probably turn this entire interview into a big essay about that first question, honestly. I probably couldn't enumerate all the ways in which becoming a father has changed me; needless to say its influence is all-encompassing. Lots of things that were monumental before seem meaningless now. It works kind of like the Gospel in that way. Even the Gospel looks a lot different. This notion of God's Son being tortured to death on my account, being handed over to His enemies willfully, being sacrificed, having a son of my own now makes it all the more vivid, and I'm more dumbfounded than ever as to how God could have that much love for humankind.

The lyrics on the new record take place at different times- in some songs you are still "weakened by disease", and in others you are a new, healthier, wiser man looking to the world with hope and optimism. Did you write this as you struggled through your recovery, documenting it, or was this record written afterward, looking back and retelling the story?

11 out of the 12 were written in hindsight, so to speak. "Salvation" was written in 1999, oddly enough. It took me more than a year's time to be able to write anything at all. "I Hear Your Voice" was the first one I did; I just tried to remember exactly how I felt in that instant when I stood on the brink of laying my life down and taking up a new one.

There is a very strong gospel influence on this record. Have you always been a gospel fan? Who are some of your gospel influences?

I love the old-time Gospel music. I love to hear Hank Williams sing Gospel. The Louvin Brothers' "Satan Is Real" is probably my favorite Gospel album of all time. I love The Staples Singers. The Mighty Clouds Of Joy. Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions.

As your career has progressed, the music, lyrics and production on your records has become simpler. "Regretfully Yours" has a dense sound to it, often with vocals low in the mix almost along the lines of My Bloody Valentine. "Head Trip In Every Key" has clearer production, but has some complex arrangements on it and eclectic instruments. "In The Valley Of Dying Stars" and "Last Call For Vitriol" are both more straightforward musically and lyrically, with a simpler recording quality. The new record follows in that pattern. It has a very no-frills recording quality- very clean, everything is easy to hear and there are few effects, and while the songs are all in a variety of styles, they are for the most part pretty straightforward. The lyrics are especially simpler, getting straight to the point, telling the story in a very plain, effective manner. Was this intentional, or has your writing naturally progressed this way without putting much thought to it?

I don't know---as much so then as now, I think that we, and now I, just intended to make the production values best serve the collection of songs on hand. I mean, you don't need a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to record a song like "Jesus Gonna Build Me A Home". I was just trying to beat my 4-track demo! We were really into My Bloody Valentine on that first album. And Swervedriver. I still love My Bloody Valentine and Swervedriver! "Loveless" is still my favorite record of the 1990s, hands-down. I always wanted vocals buried in the beginning. On "Head Trip In Every Key" we wanted to make a big "studio" album and could've cared less about being able to reproduce the sitar or the theremin onstage. I love the production on that record. I think Jerry Finn is one of the absolute best in the world. Some of the songs were a little weird. Most Superdrag people will cite "In The Valley Of Dying Stars" as our finest album. It sure was a highly personal affair for me. I think that really got me heading in this direction; whatever you have to say, just come out with it. No need to try and be clever about it all the time. Arguably, "Unprepared" and "Ambulance Driver" were the first two Gospel songs I wrote, and I didn't even know it. I think "Last Call For Vitriol" had great songs too, especially the ones Sam (Powers) sang lead on, but it's hard for me to separate the sessions themselves from the shambles my life was in at the time.

Your vocal ability has always been one of your biggest talents, and if I may say so, this record is your strongest vocal performance yet. Did you ever have any kind of voice training, or did you just sort of learn as you went?

That's awful nice of you. Thanks! I quit smoking; that helped a lot. I have my wife to thank for that. I never had any lessons, I just sang along with records in the car, mostly, when I was by myself.

When you first began your recovery did you have it in your mind to do a solo record, or did the idea to use the songs for a solo project as opposed to Superdrag or a new band come about during the writing?

My first instinct was not to make any more records, honestly. I prayed about it a lot. Every single day. That period of sort of being in limbo was tough. I mean, after ten years of being in the same band, your whole personality is kind of grafted to it. These guys were like my family. Don (Coffey Jr) especially. To this day, the guy's like my older brother. Man, he taught me a lot. This wasn't the first time I had thought about making solo records, though, and when I started to write again the songs just didn't sound like Superdrag songs, for one thing. That helped to sort of illuminate that path towards what needed to come next.

What made you decide to play almost everything on this record by yourself? Would you say doing everything yourself was easier or harder than recording with a band?

I kind of challenged myself to do it, out of curiosity as to whether or not I could pull it of on a level that was "record-quality". I mean, I've always played drums, but not as well as Don Coffey, you know what I mean? The rest of the stuff I'm fairly proficient on. I think I loved playing bass the best. It's more time-consuming to do it this way, and definitely more taxing in a way. It's not like you can rest for a little bit while the bass player's working on something.

If the John Davis of ten years ago heard this record, what would he think?

I think he might like it. I think the conviction in it might win him over, albeit reluctantly. I definitely think he would've liked the songs musically and the way the instruments sound. Overall, it probably wouldn't be Stones enough for the '95 model, but all the other influences are there.

How has the audience reaction been so far to the new material?

Overwhelmingly positive-better than I had any right to expect.


Do you plan to do more solo releases in the future, or was this a one-off record. I know being a father takes a lot of time and energy, do you still plan on touring?

We're going to run the touring operation in a way that makes sense with the rest of our lives, family life in particular. If this job interferes with my ability to be the best father I can be, then I'll get a different job. There will definitely be more records in the future. I'm well on the way to getting the next one written now.

What records would you say have had the biggest effect on your life?

In no particular order:
1. The Beatles Revolver 2. The Louvin Brothers Satan Is Real 3. Dinosaur Jr You're Living All Over Me 4. Teenage Fanclub Bandwagonesque 5. Big Star Radio City 6. Descendents Milo Goes To College 7. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds 8. Husker Du Metal Circus 9. Guided By Voices Alien Lanes 10. The Rolling Stones Beggar's Banquet
Man, these lists are virtually impossible to do. I'd probably have an easier time making a "100 Most Important Records" list. You should probably run that in lieu of an interview anyway. (ha)

How did you go about finding the musicians for your road band? If you do future tours will it most likely be the same lineup?

These guys have all got about five different things going on musically at any given time; I sure hope we'll be able to keep it together for the duration. There will be times when we'll have to have other players fill-in, I'm sure. Matt (Slocum) and I play together in another band, Astronaut Pushers, with Lindsay Jamieson (Ben Folds) and Sam Ashworth. Sam has a time-stoppingly awesome solo record about to come out. I co-wrote one song and got to play some different instruments here and there. Nate (Blackstone, drums) came highly recommended by the management company. He's worked with tons of different artists. He kind of reminds me of Topper Headon from The Clash in the sense that he can tackle any kind of song and nothing really phases him. Josiah (Holland, bass) was in a band called Holland with his brother and some other dudes---they did some records for Tooth & Nail awhile back. Now they have a new band, The Lonely Hearts. They're great. They opened up some shows on our tour back in November. We just had a lot of mutual friends, we met, and just hit it off right away.

What are you hoping to accomplish with this record and its message?

Honestly, I hope it will afford me the opportunity to love people, through the music. One listener at a time. And if nothing else, to say, "if you think that God couldn't possibly love you, just as you are right now, then please reconsider."

Is there anything else you want to add?

I reckon that's about enough outta me. I'd just say, "thanks for taking the time to read" and may God bless and keep you.

Thanks, John!



John's new record is out and is well worth your time. Opening with the Pet Sounds-esque "I Hear Your Voice", through the hard rocking "Nothing Gets Me Down" and ending with the country swing of "Do You Know How Much You've Been Loved", its a treat for both Superdrag fans and newcomers alike, and is highly recommended. For more information regarding ordering, merchandise, and tour dates, head on over www.johndavismusic.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home